RUNNING RESOLUTE IN 2015…
I hope you’re up early and ready to dive into 2015, perhaps even with a quick run to start things off on the right foot.
And for those who rang in the New Year with a vengeance last night…
I hope you’re up and having a great first late afternoon of 2015 and enjoying sipping water on the couch while the bongos continue to play in your aching head.
Either way, welcome to the new year and perhaps the “new you.”
And just like counting down the ball dropping in Times Square on TV, singing “Auld Lang Syne” and getting a smooch at midnight are traditions of the new year, so to is the dreaded “list of resolutions.”
Yup, each year we get to erase the bad habits of last year, like shaking a giant etch-a-sketch over our heads (some people have to shake it harder than others). And then we start anew by making a checklist of things we plan to do differently this time around.
Here’s a list of the top ten resolutions that seem to pop up every year:
And for more stats about new year’s resolutions (what percentage of people make ’em and how long before they fall off the wagon) check out this link.
I’m no different than your “Average Joe” in that I make plans each January 1st. Some personal, some professional. The success rate on my resolutions varies… sometimes greatly.
Well, in 2014 I made a series of “running resolutions/goals” and ended up keeping/succeeding on most of them.
So, here’s my running resolutions for 2015 (that I’ll be re-reading come Dec. 31st to see how I did).
- Run one race per month, be it a full marathon, half marathon or 10K. (Any more races added will be gravy. I’m not feeling the need to run 15 races in ’15, but I also won’t say “no.”)
- Try out/travel to at least two new races this year. (Currently REVEL Rockies and the Madison Half Marathon are on the docket… I also have a few other destinations in mind.)
- Enter the lottery for the NY Marathon again (one of my other destinations in mind).
- Enter the lottery for one of the other “big 6 marathons” to be run in 2016.
- Run a sub 5-hour race at the Los Angeles Marathon (and PR too hopefully).
- Run a sub 2-hour half marathon (only need to shave 61 seconds off of my PR).
- Rededicate myself to Cross training in order to improve my running and overallfitness.
- Rededicate myself to speedwork (fartleks anyone) in order to improve my running fitness.
- And most importantly, continue to have fun pounding the pavement and hopefully remain injury free.
Oh, and in addition, I’ll be trying some things out with Tripping The Kenyans this year. After a year and over 250 posts solely about running, I’m going to finally start including other topics.
Rather than risk re-hashing things I’ve already said (kind of like how Runner’s World Magazine seems to cover the exact same topic almost ever third month), I’d rather broaden my horizons and try new things.
Basically, I’ll also banter about other stuff I’m passionate about: movies, TV, comic books, all things geek-related, food and other sports (etc…). The key word to remember is “passionate.” Don’t worry, I’ll still be talking about “all things running” too.
And of course I’d love to hear from you… tell me something you like, something you dislike or something you’d enjoy hearing me blather about.
With that in mind, let’s get this party we call 2015 started!
Happy New Year… and Run on!
So, what are your New Year’s running (or other) resolutions?